Grammar Reviewer 2
1. 70 percent of the pies ____ disappeared.
2. One-fourth of the city ____ unemployed.
3. One-fourth of the people ____ unemployed.
4. Neither of them ____ available to talk right now.
5. Either of us ____ capable of doing the job.
6. There are five ______ to jump.
7. There is a high ______ to jump.
8. Fifteen dollars ____ a high price to pay.
9. Ten years ____ the maximum sentence for that offense.
10.Mario is the scientist who ____ the report.
11. He is one of the men who ____ the work.
12. The Staff ____ in a meeting.
13. The Staff ____ in disagreement about the findings.
14. The Staff members ____ in disagreement about the findings.
Important Points: Subject Verb Agreement
1. When either and neither are subjects, they always take singular verbs.
2. In sentences beginning with here or there, the subject follows the verb
3. Use a singular verb with sums of money or periods of time.
4. The pronouns who, that, and which become singular or plural according to the noun directly in front of them. So, if that noun is singular, use a singular verb. If it is plural, use a plural verb.
5. Collective nouns such as team and staff may be either singular or plural depending on their use in the sentence.